The essential characteristic of social responsibility is the willingness of an organisation to incorporate social and environmental considerations in its decision making and be accountable for all impacts of its decisions and activities on society and the environment. This implies both transparent and ethical behaviour that contributes to sustainable development, is in compliance with applicable law and is consistent with international norms of behaviour. It also implies that social responsibility is integral throughout the organisation, is practised in its relationships and takes into account the interests of stakeholders. 1
While delivering on its core role of providing housing to Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, Defence Housing Australia (DHA) strives to be an innovative business, providing residential developments centred on the needs of ADF members in an economically viable, ecologically sustainable and community enriching way.
At DHA, we value our employees and our many stakeholders, including the wider community where the development of our residential properties has the potential to bring positive social and environmental change. We value the contribution that individuals and external entities make to our business through our community consultation process.
We integrate the principles of social responsibility into our core business activities internally by exhibiting the behaviours of good corporate governance, ethical decision making, and providing our personnel with opportunities to develop and excel. We integrate the principles of social responsibility into our business activities externally by minimising our environmental impact and seeking to enhance the amenity of residential communities.
- optimising DHA’s business operations to meet ongoing social and sustainability objectives
- providing opportunities for us to grow as individuals and as a business by becoming involved in our local communities
- implementing key design changes that reduce negative environmental impacts and foster good community growth
- seeking innovative solutions to address the regular relocation of ADF members and their families
- focussing on good urban design and empowered members for healthy, happy and resilient communities
- promoting initiatives that support ADF members and their families, beyond the provision of housing
- promoting initiatives that recognise the contribution of the ADF to Australian society
1 International Standard - ISO 26000 - Guidance on Social Responsibility 2010, Clause 3.3.1.