Money matters

When it comes to your money, we know this matters.

Here’s what you need to know about your money and other matters.

For the life of the lease, with the exception of the first and the last month, your rent will be paid a month in advance. Rent is paid to you on the first day of each month via electronic funds transfer to your nominated bank account.

In accordance with the terms of your lease, we may stop paying rent under certain circumstances. For example, should a property become uninhabitable or due to a lessor’s breach of the lease terms.

A monthly statement will be available within Online Services. You can refer to your monthly statement for details of any charges applied to your account, the 'Charges' tab within Online Services will also show expected future charges.

The rental certificate lists the weekly rental figure for your property as determined by the Market rent review service and is available to you through Online Services under the ‘Documents’ tab for your property.

If you need to update your bank details at any point through the life of your lease, please complete an Amend Landlord Information form (PDF - 499 KB). Once the form has been completed, please return the form and any required documents to

As the landlord, you are responsible for rates and charges on your property. These include but are not limited to:

  • taxes, and local Government rates
  • charges for the provision of water and sewerage services
  • levies and charges for properties in strata, community title or other similar legislation
  • other statutory and council charges
  • fees such as insurance.

We are responsible for the payments on the accounts for:

  • excess water, water usage or water consumption
  • the supply of gas, electricity and telephone
  • the supply of technology and communication services
  • the supply of cable and satellite television as well as broadband internet services.

Land tax is a tax payable by owners of land to the state or territory government.

You must tell the relevant government authority that you lease your property.

Find out more about land tax in your state or territory.

You can claim reimbursement for the metered water usage at your property. To seek a reimbursement provide us with the following documents:

  • a copy of all pages of the invoice which shows:
    • property address
    • itemised charges
    • meter reading dates
    • number of kilolitres consumed
  • proof of payment (i.e. a receipt) which shows the date you made the payment.

You must provide these documents by email to

Or you can post documents to:

Accounts Payable
PO Box 4923
Kingston ACT 2604

We will credit your account and report the transaction on your monthly statement. If we receive your documents by the 18th day of the month the credit will appear on your next monthly statement.

We recommend that you present water bills within 18 months of the bill date.

In June of each year, DHA will inform you of the availability date of your End Of Financial Year (EOFY) statement.

Please note that due to the volume of properties that DHA manages, the EOFY statement is not usually available until the third week of July.

To access your EOFY statement, open the Statements tab in your Online Services account and select Annual (the view defaults to Monthly) from the drop down menu on the left of your screen.

Need help?

Contact us by calling 133 342 and then selecting option 2 or email us directly.