Paying a debt to Defence

You will need to repay a debt to Defence if;

  • an allowance has been overpaid, or
  • there are non-fair wear-and-tear charges identified at your Pre-Vacation Inspection (PVI).

Salary recovery (Defence employees only)

Defence employees may elect to have the amount recovered directly from their salary. This can be done by ticking the ‘deduction through salary’ checkbox on the Tenant Acknowledgement Form (TAF). Recovery will be affected at a minimum of $100 per pay over six pays. You are required to have sufficient salary funds to cover this payment.

Recovery through invoice


BPAY is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for payments from cheque, savings, debit card, credit card or transaction accounts.

Australia Post BillPay

Payments can be made at any Australia Post outlet by cash, cheque or direct debit card (note: credit card payments are not available).

Government EasyPay

Government EasyPay is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for payments over the internet using Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

Can I dispute the tenant charge?

If there are non-fair wear-and-tear charges identified at your periodic inspection, your PVI, or at a second/final inspection that you do not agree with, you have the option to dispute the charge.

Your Property Manager will ask you to notate the TAF and complete a Details of dispute form, clearly outlining your reasons for non-acceptance of the charges. You must complete the dispute form at the time of the inspection and submit it to your local regional office within five working days. Your reasons must be valid and relevant to your dispute.

The dispute will be investigated by DHA and your regional Defence Relocations Housing Manager (DRHM). Once the investigation is complete you will be advised of the result. When the dispute is finalised, Defence will not accept any further disputes and salary deduction will commence or an invoice will be issued for payment within 30 days as per the payment methods above.

What if I’m unable to pay the debt by the required due date?

If you are unable to finalise the account by the due date on the invoice, you must contact the debt recovery officer as soon as you become aware that you will be unable to pay. In these circumstances the delegate will require a financial statement to be completed. Additional documentation may also be required. As a general rule, an instalment plan will only be authorised if payment by the due date will result in unreasonable hardship. 

Interest charges

Interest charges must be considered on all instalment plans or overdue accounts.